Sunday, July 01, 2007

Marlay Park 29th June


I hope this won’t be my last Who show: When I’m old and reminiscing the past, this time will be regarded as a bad memory. Not because of the Who’s performance but the trip as a whole. I won’t go into details.

One reason why I decided to go to Dublin was a band called the Answer were supporting. They are one of my favourites at the moment and the opportunity to see them and the Who on the same night was too good to miss.

The delay me getting to the City Centre and the heavy Dublin traffic on the special bus to Marlay park, I missed half of the Answer’s set.

Glastonbury has obviously done Marketing wonders for the band - both shows at Wembley were full and if Marlay Park wasn’t sold out it came close!

Most people I’m presuming were seeing the band for the first time. Never before (apart from festivals) have I seen so many young people come to see the band. I overheard conversations about Aerosmith on Tuesday night.

At the start I was a few rows back but as it went on I ended up close to the barrier.

Set List

I Can't Explain (8/10 Straight away I could tell Pete wasn’t fully energised)
The Seeker (9/10)
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (10/10)
Fragments (8/10)
Who Are You (9/10)
Behind Blue Eyes (8/10)
Real Good Looking Boy (7/10 Grrr not again)
Relay (9/10 Really pleased to hear this.)
Baba O'Riley (10/10)
Drowned (9/10 A lot of irritating chat amongst the crowd but gave a great reception to Pete, which prompted him to extend the song for another 30 seconds)
A Man In A Purple Dress (9/10 I really enjoyed this performance compared to the previous shows, don’t know why)
Substitute (9/10 Great to hear this again after a few shows)
You Better You Bet (9/10)
My Generation/Cry If You Want (10/10)
Won't Get Fooled Again (8/10. During the whole set Pete was having problems with his guitars, i.e. fiddling with the pickups constantly. During this song, he kept pulling faces and was quite off putting for me. I’m sure the crowd enjoyed it)
The Kids Are Alright (9/10)
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me Feel Me
(9/10)
Tea And Theatre (8/10 With occasions like this I’m in two minds if this is the right song to finish the concert)

The atmosphere was electric and the guys seem to be overcome with it. Personally I prefer being amongst hard-core fans – but credit is due to the Dublin crowd. This was a good performance and a lot of people left the park happy. At times I felt Pete was going through the motions when comparing to Wembley.

All good things must come to an end. Even if they don't do another lengthy tour I really hope they don’t stop performing.

I recorded some videos on my camera but wasn’t happy with the quality so they were deleted.

This video posted by some one on You Tube is a bit distorted but it gives you an idea of the atmosphere