Sunday, October 01, 2006

Royal Albert Hall 7th February 2002


Only a week after the Watford performance I had the pleasure of seeing the guys again at the Royal Albert Hall. The seats were a good view situated in the circle. (With a price tag of £60 they had to be decent) The acoustics are high-quality but would prefer Wembley Arena any day. (And it’s easier to get to)

We entered the arena while the support act: The Electric Soft Parade were performing. Their live set was ok, a lot better than two years later when they appeared at the Isle of Wight festival. (They seem to have disappeared since then)

Whilst this concert wasn’t as enjoyable as Watford, it was worth the trip and price. (In more ways than one)

Set List:

Can't Explain (8/10)
Substitute (8/10)
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (10/10)
I Don't Know Myself (9/10)
Amazing Journey (10/10)
Pinball Wizard (8/10)
I'm Free (9/10)
My Wife (8/10 Unbeknown to me that I was to hear this for the last time)
Who Are You (9/10)
Getting In Tune (8/10)
Behind Blue Eyes (9/10)
Drowned (10/10)
I'm One (10/10 Great to hear two acoustic performances)
Baba O'Riley (9/10 Always the crowd pleaser)
You Better You Bet (8/10 Wouldn’t miss it if they didn’t play it again)
5.15 (10/10 Having heard this solo a few times, I should have appreciated it more than I did at the time)
Won't Get Fooled Again (10/10 Always great live)
The Kids Are Alright (9/10)
Summertime Blues (Don’t quite remember why they had to start again)
Summertime Blues #2 (9/10 Fabulous. Believe John wasn’t quite as rude with the lyrics this time)
Young Man Blues (10/10 Brilliant)
My Generation (10/10 Enough said)

Unfortunately this was the last time I was to see John Entwistle live. Four months later he died before the Who started their US tour. I remember the morning my parents told me. I felt like it was a member of the family and being very upset for the next few weeks. I wasn’t sure if Roger and Pete would carry on with the band. After the decision was made, I had different opinions. Since then I’m glad they did, as it’s given me the opportunity to buy new material from the band and continue to see them live.