Sunday, August 20, 2006

Wembley Arena 15/11/2000



Four months spent in the US, the Who returned to the UK to play 11 shows. I attended the Wednesday 15th November show at Wembley Arena. This for me was my birthday present. (Five days later, age 16) It was my father again who redialled Wembley Box office at 9 am constantly and luckily managed to get threw and purchased tickets at the side fairly close to the stage nearest to Pete. A couple of hours later, tickets were sold out.

We drove to the venue and missed the support act Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros. I wasn’t too fussed at the time but have lived to regret it – a few years later Joe Strummer died.

The seats had a good view and Wembley is renowned for having a good sound system, but for atmosphere this concert was the worst. The majority of the audience I believe were either seeing the Who for the first time or hadn’t seen them in years; nobody stood up and were rather quiet compared to Shepherds Bush. They also would get up to buy watered-down beer when the boys played unknown tracks like “I Don’t Even Know Myself” and retrieve to their seats and be irritating shouting “Magic Bus!” every five minutes.

That entire aside, the concert was great. Here is the set list:

I Can’t Explain (8/10 Always a good opener)
Substitute (9/10)
Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (10/10)
The Relay (10/10 Love this track. Should have been on an album)
My Wife (8/10)
Baba O'Riley (9/10 Always the crowd favourite)
I Don’t Even Know Myself (9/10 fantastic, though I was at times distracted by members of the audience getting up to buy beer!)
Bargain (10/10 I’ll always enjoy this song, one of my favourites)
Drowned (9/10 Enjoyed it but my dad had to tell off the “beer” guys in front of us as they were chatting during the performance. If you want to talk and drink alcohol, go to the pub!)
Behind Blue Eyes (9/10)
Pinball Wizard (9/10)
The Real Me (10/10 Love it, wished they played this on the current tour)
You Better You Bet (9/10 Nice and poppy)
Who Are You (10/10 Great stuff)
5:15 (10/10 John’s bass solo astounded the audience)
Won't Get Fooled Again (10/10)
Lets See Action (9/10 Good to hear this)
The Kids are Alright (8/10)
Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands (9/10 Another rare treat)
My Generation (10/10)


After the show I wanted more. If I was the age I was now with a full time job – I would have attended the next night and the Royal Albert Hall show. I was desperate to go to the Teenage Cancer Trust gig, but having no money, still at school and parents not concerned about going; I couldn’t. Roll on 2002.

The video is on the night of the 16th. I was meant to buy the 15th, but brought the wrong video!