Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Who At Shepherds Bush Empire 22 December 1999


First ever Who gig – I couldn’t have been more excited. Although it was a mix of excitement and fear; will they be any good? Can they still cut it as a live band?

I first discovered them in 1998 after listening to My Generation The Best Of and watching The Kids Are Alright movie on VH1. For the whole year I was mesmerised. In-fact 1998 was a good time to discover them; in 1999 they announced they were performing at the Chicago House of Blues as a five piece!

Awestruck by the Who’s past, could the present be as inspiring? As soon as the tickets went on sale at 9:00 am I brought them off Ticketweb – I couldn’t wait!

After queuing for ages around the outside of the venue, me and my dad went straight for the stage: second row on Pete’s side! Whilst waiting for the band to come on we got talking to two guys who paid £80 each for tickets. I swear I’ve seen them at other concerts since then. (If my memory serves me correctly, they were from Wales)

As the boys came on and Pete struck the first chords of I Can’t Explain – I was in Who heaven. I’ve never enjoyed a gig as much as this one. I have seen better performances (Listening back to the show I realise that Roger’s voice wasn’t his best and the band was pretty loose) but it will remain special to me. (And so far the most varied Set List)

Here's my review of each individual song (Well, the ones I can remember anyway)

I Can't Explain (9/10 Hang on, has Pete got a hole in his trousers? Isn't he suppose to be a millionaire? Who Cares!)
Substitute (9/10)

Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (10/10 I've always enjoyed this live, never heard a bad version)
Pinball Wizard (9/10)

My Wife (9/10)
Baba O'Riley (10/10)
Pure And Easy (7/10 Great to hear this though Roger did sing out of tune occasionally)
Getting In Tune (8/10)

Behind Blue Eyes (9/10)
You Better You Bet (9/10)
Happy Jack (7/10 You could tell it was a spur of the moment thing)
Magic Bus (9/10)

Boris The Spider (8/10)
Who Are You (9/10)
After The Fire (8/10 Nice song, doubt they'll play it again)
5:15 (8/10 This was the first time my attention was focused on the bass guitar! Roger also had problems in his ear phones)
Won't Get Fooled Again (10/10 Fantastic, one of my favourite Who songs)
The Kids Are Alright (8/10 I think this was when they started to extend the song, correct me if I'm wrong. Was good though I prefer the shorter version)

Naked Eye (9/10 Thrilled to hear a rarity)
My Generation (10/10 The crowd goes mad!)